And the winner is…
And the award for best adult-created Eco-boat goes to the “Peaceful Sun” Tomol created by Elaine F.! Elaine used cardboard, a paper towel roll, twigs, brown packaging paper, and thread to create this lovely boat. We absolutely loved all of the details on this lovely eco-friendly Tomol model. Thank you to all who participated in the April contest! A big thank you as well to our harbor friends at the Channel Islands Harbor Lessees Association for sponsoring the contest prizes.
calling all mini “eco-boat” builders!
Channel Islands Maritime Museum continues its 30th-anniversary celebration with its April Eco-Boat Building Contest!
The Museum is calling for contest entries which are boats that utilize recyclable or compostable materials. Entries should be no longer than 24” in length.
Winning entries will be chosen based on the most creative use of materials.
- Wood, paper, glass, aluminum, cardboard, and plant fibers (including cotton fabric, canvas, hemp, non-nylon rope, etc.) are all acceptable materials. We encourage you to use items that you already have at home including paper towel roll cardboard, string, foil, twigs, leaves, etc.
- Plastics and foams may not be used in the construction of boats.
- Prizes will be awarded in four age categories: Adults (18 years and older), Young Adults (13-17 years of age), Kids (7-12 years of age), and Kids (6 years and under). There will be one prize given in each age category.
- Please include a piece of paper with your name, age category, email address, phone number, and list of materials used in the entry.
- Please also include your boat’s name and you are encouraged to share a short description of your boat-building experience or your goals in building your boat.
- Please let CIMM know if it may use your first name and last name initial on CIMM website and CIMM social media.
1st Place: Adults (18 years and older) $200.00
2nd Place: Adults (18 years and older) $150.00
3rd place: Adults (18 years and older) $100.00
Thank you to the Channel Islands Harbor Lessees Association for its sponsorship of the event and for generously providing contest prizes!
Contest begins April 1, 2021.
Entries may be dropped off at the Museum Monday-Friday 10 am to 4 pm during the month of April.
Entries must be at the Museum at 3900 Bluefin Circle, Oxnard, no later than April 30 at 12 pm pacific time.
Entries received after this time will not be accepted into the judging.